The Usual Suspects
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Usual Suspects

The Pale White Underbelly of North East Off Road Bicycling

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Maine Headset press

Go down 
+3
D$
RJ
chris
7 posters
AuthorMessage
chris
Minion
chris

Maine Headset press Empty
PostSubject: Maine Headset press   Maine Headset press Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 8:03 am

57 beers and a rubber mallet. Pretty technical, we are up here.
Back to top Go down
RJ
Goderator
RJ

PostSubject: Re: Maine Headset press   Maine Headset press Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 10:24 am

chris wrote:
57 beers and a rubber mallet. Pretty technical, we are up here.

I am the man.
Back to top Go down
https://justride.forumotion.net
D$
Minion
D$

PostSubject: Re: Maine Headset press   Maine Headset press Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 11:51 am

oh don't even tell me this affraid
Back to top Go down
Spam16v

PostSubject: Re: Maine Headset press   Maine Headset press Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 12:01 pm

D$ wrote:
oh don't even tell me this affraid

remember when i bought your ER and brought my cups b/c i knew you had a press.... i whacked the cups in a few old frames though.
Back to top Go down
RJ
Goderator
RJ

PostSubject: Re: Maine Headset press   Maine Headset press Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 7:45 pm

usually not a great idea with a new headset. But a used headset will usually go right in. Easy to see if it's square with a drafting T.
Back to top Go down
jimbvrly
Minion
jimbvrly

PostSubject: Re: Maine Headset press   Maine Headset press Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 4:13 pm

On my recent gruitr build I had a pretty good redneck-engineering solution to get my head-set in. Went in straight and true. Too lazy to head to the shop.
Back to top Go down
http://www.heavypants.com
evan
Goderator
evan

PostSubject: Re: Maine Headset press   Maine Headset press Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 10:36 pm

just installed a crown race by resting it on the seat tube and putting the fork through it.
worked like a charm!!!!

i hope...
Back to top Go down
D$
Minion
D$

PostSubject: Re: Maine Headset press   Maine Headset press Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 10:44 am

you guys are killin me
Back to top Go down
evan
Goderator
evan

PostSubject: Re: Maine Headset press   Maine Headset press Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 11:52 am

it was a ti king headset going into my custom ti and carbon frame, too. obviously the cups were whacked in.
Back to top Go down
D$
Minion
D$

PostSubject: Re: Maine Headset press   Maine Headset press Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 11:00 pm

now you're just being mean. rabbit
Back to top Go down
RJ
Goderator
RJ

PostSubject: Well it had to happen   Maine Headset press Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 5:27 pm

totally monkeyed up the headtube on this gruitr. The bottom cup canted as I was going in to seat it. I actually used the press for 1/4 of the way and then was going to send it home with the mallett. The problem is I can't get it out now and it doesn't want to ride down into the HT anymore. You can JUST barely see the headtube pushing out where the Cup is pushing on it. Think I can heat it up and tap it back?

in the pic you can see how the bottom cup is off. I tried to use the HS cup and cap to pull it all into shape. No Dice.

Maine Headset press ThIMG_7943
Back to top Go down
evan
Goderator
evan

PostSubject: Re: Maine Headset press   Maine Headset press Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 2:12 am

hahaha.
Back to top Go down
evan
Goderator
evan

PostSubject: Re: Maine Headset press   Maine Headset press Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 2:25 am

my head badge is in one of those bags, too rj.
Back to top Go down
D$
Minion
D$

PostSubject: Re: Maine Headset press   Maine Headset press Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 5:39 am

No

for the love of God, my anus is bleeding!!!
Back to top Go down
chris
Minion
chris

PostSubject: Re: Maine Headset press   Maine Headset press Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 6:28 am

I would just hacksaw the headtube off and go to Home Depot and get some type of pipe and weld in on there. That should work fine. I would get two pieces of pipe in case it happens again. You could probably get the headset out with a pair of vise grips or maybe you could put a pipe wrench on and just twist them around until they are loose. What ever you decide, good luck.
Back to top Go down
D$
Minion
D$

PostSubject: Re: Maine Headset press   Maine Headset press Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 7:24 am

probably be a good idea to file a little off the headset so it's not so goddamned tight next time.

THINK first. .. jeezus Mad
Back to top Go down
RJ
Goderator
RJ

PostSubject: Re: Maine Headset press   Maine Headset press Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 8:04 am

my plan backfired...I was hoping to freak evan out. Alas, he saw through my charade. Went in without a hitch, squared up perfect.
Back to top Go down
Ridefaster
Minion
Ridefaster

PostSubject: Re: Maine Headset press   Maine Headset press Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 9:34 am

Nice. I believed it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maine Headset press   Maine Headset press Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Maine Headset press
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Usual Suspects :: General Blabber :: Tech Stuff-
Jump to: